Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Multi-part/ multifunction travel board

This one is a two-part board in the same style as the last one I did with Spindrift.

There are a couple of differences though. First off, I made a 1.5" carbon fiber tube and rod for the center, to avoid having to mess with multiple rods and keeping them aligned. Secondly, I used some center boxes from probox as my milling stock to make my clamping units. This was a huge improvement from my previous units, both from a materials perspective and from a ease-of-production perspective since they already had a big center channel built into them.

Finally, and here's the development of which I'm most proud, the tail of the board has a removable section. With the removable tail section, I can use it as a 6'2" quad/tri, widepoint centered, or a 6'7" rounded pin bonzer5- widepoint 2.5" forward of center. Basically with this, I figure I'm pretty good in anything from knee-high to solid overhead.

I was definitely experimenting with the resin on the bottom lam. I've had some ideas about doing combinations of clears, tints and opaques over wood for a while... As you can see, the results were kind of a mixed bag. It's interesting, but not exactly what I expected.

6'2" N14.25 M21 T13.25 2.75"Thick
6'7" N14.25 M21 T16.25 2.75"Thick

The removable section is 5" long, so that makes the 6'2" have a centered widepoint, and the bonzer rounded pin has a widepoint 2.5" forward.

















These are all the fins I'm taking to Nicaragua for this board:


And this is the board encased in its "stealth" packaging for airline travel. Inside of the bright yellow waterproof Cordura its encased in a single-board travel bag folded in half.


2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

The board looks good. BTW, the removable tail block looks like a headrest from an automobile.

5:08 PM, July 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig it. People need to have the gutz to create things like this! I'm shaping my first board for the gulf and am on the fine sanding. I'd like to ask you some questions about wood veneer technique.

Skip

1:02 PM, November 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home