Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Swirly bonzer pintail; "The Frayed Ends of Sanity"


6'10" 21.5 x 2.625 thick

Widepoint-forward bonzer based upon my Twinnie template. The "Frayed Ends of Sanity" title came from a couple of sources of inspiration.

First, I was making this board for a trip to mainland Mexico in the hopes that I would be finding waves juicy enough to warrant a pintail in my quiver. This vacation was desperately needed, as I was nearing the end of my rope as an overworked RN at a county psych unit. My sanity was being pushed to the limit at work as I tried to help people who had already gone beyond their own limits.

Secondly, this board seemed to fight me throughout the building and glassing. Steps and processes that had always gone smoothly were causing me grief at every turn. Much of that might be due to my decreased frustration threshold and my first attempt to do color work with epoxy. As I tried to get the angles correct on the bonzer runners, Metallica's "frayed ends of sanity" came on the radio. Listening to that song, staring at that psychedelic resin swirl, it all came together and drifted away.

Catharsis.

After that, it came much more easily.

The hotcoat flowed, the pinlines curved, and the board worked.

In the waves it was smooth, predictable, solid. Everything that the circumstances leading to its creation weren't.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home